Waukesha Metro's fixed route fleet is wheelchair accessible, but not all of our stops allow us to use our accessible features. Wheelchair users and people with other disabilities can call Waukesha Metro at 262-524-3636 Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. to determine if a bus stop is accessible.
Please tell us specifically what stop you are planning to get on and off at so we can determine if those stops are accessible. In most cases, there will be no problems with accessible service. Sometimes, though, there will be a need for minor adjustments to your trip(s) to allow for accessible service.
If you are unable to use fixed route service, please see our information about Metrolift.
Boarding & Exiting Procedures
Wheelchair passengers are to follow the same instructions that all other riders must follow with the exception of the following boarding and exiting procedures.
- When the bus arrives, remain at least five feet from the door to allow other passengers to board and depart and wait for the ramp to be lowered.
- The driver will tell you when the ramp is ready for you to board. You are to board facing forward (facing the bus) onto the ramp. Once on the bus, pay your fare and proceed into the bus.
- The driver will then lift and secure the front seats where your wheelchair will be secured. The driver will then ask that you position your wheelchair into the space.
- Once in position, set your brakes and allow the driver to fasten the safety belts.
- Pull the cord (or touch the button) on the wall to notify the driver that you wish to get off at the next stop. If this is difficult for you or you are unsure of where you need to get off, tell the driver where you want to go when you board the bus. He/she will be happy to assist you.
- Wait until the bus comes to a complete stop. The driver will then come to unfasten the safety devices. Please do not begin moving from the area until the passage way is clear to exit.
- Move toward the front door and proceed onto the ramp after the driver indicates the ramp is in the proper position. Move forward (facing away from the bus) on to the ramp slowly.
- Be sure to move completely off the ramp equipment. Once this is done, your ride is finished and you can be on your way!