Through programs, we provide opportunities for teens to practice and learn leadership skills, enhance personal growth, citizenship and life skills that empower them to be confident, productive members of society.
- Young adults 12 to 18 years of age
- Opportunities include Certification classes (Babysitter's Training, Lifeguard Training, etc)
- Volunteer/Leadership Opportunities (Leader In Training (LIT), Special Events, etc.)
- Leading Forward Workshops - Teen Leadership Training
- Classes and Leadership opportunities are led by qualified instructors committed to providing safe, healthy, educational programs. All staff working with youth receive annual background checks
Leaders in Training Program (LIT)
Teens who are entering grades 7-12 for the 2020-2021 school year may apply to become a fully trained volunteer for the summer Playgrounds Program. This prestigious and elevated position is an excellent resume and college application builder. Leaders in Training will receive intense leadership training, character-building education, first-hand experience of program planning and leading groups, professional development training, participation in Playground Leader staff meetings and more! Leaders in Training will commit to an average of 12 service hours per week at one of the following 2021 summer playground sites: Banting, Lowell, EB Shurts, Rivers Crossing, Merrill Crest, Sentinel, and Saratoga Park. Hours of volunteer are M-F, between 11:30 am - 5:30 pm from 6/21-8/13 (at selected sites). Morning hours are available at selected sites TBD. Please note that space is limited and not all Leaders in Training will receive their first choice.
Steps to becoming a Leader in Training:
- Attend a Leading Forward Workshop
- Complete a Leader in Training Application (see below) and submit one letter of recommendation. Deadline to apply: May 24, 2021 by 4:00 pm. Please email the application to email@example.com or send to WPRF, Attn: Gala Evers, 1900 Aviation Dr., Waukesha, WI 53188.
- All applicants are invited to participate in an interview held Thursday, June 10, 6:00 pm at the WPRF Office, 1900 Aviation Dr., Waukesha.
- Candidates will be notified at the interview if they are selected. *Those who are selected but have not attended a Leading Forward Workshop will be offered the position on the contingency of completing the workshop on 6/18/21.
- All previous LIT volunteers must reapply for Summer 2021, attend the interview, and attend a review course offered on Tuesday, June 15, 9:00 - 11:00 am at the WPRF Office. You must register in advance for this free review course.