N&S Prairie Ave, Sentry Dr & Sunset St Improvements
Project Update: April 30, 2021
This project is for the roadway reconstruction and underground utility improvements along N/S Prairie Avenue, Sentry Drive, W. College Avenue, and W. Sunset Drive. The Contractor is currently working on the first section of the project along N/S Prairie Avenue. Work will be starting along W. Sunset Drive next week as part of this project in conjunction with the work on N. Prairie Avenue.
Work Completed/Continued This week (4/26 – 4/30)
Work Along N/S Prairie Avenue (Philip Dr. to W. St. Paul Avenue)
- Completion of sanitary sewer laterals and water services between College Ave. and Marshall St.
- Lighting conduit installation between the RR tracks and W. St. Paul Ave.
- Existing pavement and curb and gutter removals, and new roadway pavement grading from the RR tracks to W. St. Paul Avenue
- Traffic signal pole base installation at the W. St. Paul Ave./N. Prairie Ave. intersection
- Storm sewer installation between College Ave. and Marshall St.
Planned Work Next Week (5/3 – 5/7)
Work Along N/S Prairie Avenue (Philip Dr. to W. St. Paul Ave.)
- Completion of the pavement removal, grading, and base course placement from the RR tracks to W. St. Paul Avenue
- Storm sewer installation between Philip Dr. and Marshall St.
- Lighting Conduit installation from Philip Dr. to the RR Tracks.
- Traffic signal pole base installations at the W. St. Paul Ave./N. Prairie Ave. intersection
- Concrete curb and gutter pouring from the RR tracks to W. St. Paul Ave.
Work Along W. Sunset Drive (Chapman Dr. to Center Rd.)
- Traffic Control setup for the roadway and utility improvement project from Chapman Dr. to Center Rd. (Originally scheduled for the week of 4/26, pushed back to week of 5/3 due to crew availability)
- Erosion Control Installation
- Equipment/material mobilization and storage
Additional Project work, various locations
- Concrete material storage, and material crushing along the north side of W. College Avenue, west of N. Prairie Avenue. Once all material is used from this location, additional material will not be stored along the roadway.
- N & S Prairie Avenue is closed to through traffic (Local property access traffic only) from Philip Dr. to W. St. Paul Avenue*
- Cross traffic along W. College Avenue is open to 1 lane in each direction crossing N. Prairie Avenue
- There is No Parking along N&S Prairie Avenue from Philip Dr. to W. College Avenue
- No vehicular access is allowed along S. Prairie Avenue from Philip Dr. to W. College Avenue (NB to EB and EB to SB Turning movements at S. Prairie Ave./Philip Dr. are open)
- The Prairie Avenue Bridge over the Fox River is closed to all vehicular traffic (WisDOT Prairie Avenue Bridge rehabilitation project)
- Traffic control pattern shift along W. Sunset Dr. between Chapman Dr. and Sentry Dr. This will be set up early next week in preparation for this project to take over the work zone from the Great Water Alliance.
*The only vehicles that should be entering the above closed roadway are those who are accessing properties with direct driveway access to N. Prairie Avenue. The roadway is closed to all other traffic. Please obey all traffic control devices for the safety of all other vehicles, and those completing work along this project.
All the dates and times above are subject to change and are weather dependent. I will update the group if anything changes from the above information. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the project, please feel free to contact me.
For additional information on the Great Water Alliance’s on-going work along Sentry Dr. and W. Sunset Drive please follow this link: http://greatwateralliance.com/in-your-area/waukesha/
Brandon Schwenn, P.E.
City of Waukesha – Engineering Division