Waukesha Works Economic Recovery Grant
The City of Waukesha is pleased to announce that the Waukesha Works Economic Recovery Grant program has provided 109 small businesses with rent, mortgage, and utility bill assistance.
The following businesses are grant recipients:
- Addiction Resource Council
- Advancing Choices, Inc.
- Albanese's Roadhouse
- Allo Chocolat
- Almont Gallery
- Alyssa Konda, LLC (Reaching Treetops Yoga)
- American Dojo Inc.
- Anthology Home, LLC
- Antiques and Uniques on Main
- Artsons Inc. (Art's Cameras Plus)
- Bez Innovations
- Bridging Brighter Smiles
- Brookfield Waukesha Venture Inc. (JK Lee Black Belt Academy)
- Chosen Inc.
- CL Sales, LLC
- Clean Pro
- Cross Fit Waukesha, LLC
- Crush, LLC
- Dal Santo Wood Products
- Dave's Family Restaurant (JAS Foods, Inc)
- Daylee Public House
- Divino Gelato Cafe
- Donnie Boys Tap
- Donut Squad
- Dreams Life & Wellness Center
- Drona Inc.
- Electronic Telecommunications
- Envy Inc. (Van Bier Salon)
- Epsilon Inc (Silvernail Inn)
- Estelle, LLC (Boscos Social Club)
- Everyday Bliss, LTD
- Fisk Ave.
- Fitbobcat Technology (FitTech Hosting)
- Fraternal Order of Eagles (Waukesha Eagles Club)
- Full Spectrum Holistic Healing (Beyond Full Spectrum)
- Fushion Hair Salon
- Gergen Photography
- Green Hornet Inc. (Fuzzy's Pub & Grill)
- Habitat for Humanity
- HKP LLC (Subway)
- Hughes Automotive
- Huntley Sandwich (Subway)
- Interlaken's Healing Hands (Hand & Stone Massage & Facial Spa)
- J3 Fitness (Anytime Fitness)
- JCM Enterprises (Cafe de Arts)
- Jest for Fun Joke Shop
- Journey Martial Arts
- Kara Reese Photography
- Keppens Kar Kare Inc
- Lashes by Bre, LLC
- Lena's Tailoring and Alterations
- Limitless Nutrition Bar
- Little Nicky's LLC (Tuscan Hall)
- Lori Brockel
- Main Clinton (People's Park)
- Margaritas Mexican Grill
- Martha Merrells Books
- Martinez Law
- Mary Janes
- McCall Development Corp (Trackside Car Wash)
- Mcjae Enterprises (Foxx View Lanes)
- Mi Casa, LLC
- Miller Mobility
- MKE Moms Blog (Milwaukee Mom)
- Mortenson Photography & Design
- Moxie Beauty Lounge
- Music Records & Collectibles (Starship Records & Collectibles)
- Music Records 262
- Nice Ash Cigar Bar
- Nirvana Hair Studio
- Omaha Hotels, Inc (Comfort Inn Waukesha)
- Otto's Fine Art Academy
- Outpost Music
- Pak Mail, Small Move Experts, Designer Services
- Paws for a Moment Pet Spa
- Picky Picky Resale
- Piercings By Lexie, LLC
- PInk Opal Floral
- Plowshare Center
- Point on Main, LLC
- Polished Patina
- Premier Hotels, Inc (Baymont)
- Proven Dental, LLC
- Quant Corporation
- Raised Grain Brewing Company, LLC
- Right Body Fitness, LLC
- Salon M
- Seventh Son Mad Steintist
- Solar Nails
- Special Therapies
- Stroke of Genius
- Sudbrink Performance Academy
- Sun and Moon Massage
- Sunset Bowl Entertainment Center
- Sweet Perfections, LLC
- Sykes Foods, LLC (Subway)
- The Destination (Run Wisconsin, LLC)
- The Downtown Dog Spa
- Therapeutic Bodyworks, LLC
- Vitality Massage
- Watch Circle LLC
- Waukesha Community Acupuncture and Massage
- Waukesha Tattoo Company
- Waukesha Wellness
- White Swan Events (Center Court)
- Wisconsin Wellness LLC
- WisHope, INC
- World Hospitality Company - 5 Joints and 5 Points
* Please note that the deadline has passed to apply for grant funds. All grant recipients have been notified.*
The City of Waukesha has created a new grant program to assist small businesses in the City with 20 or fewer Full Time Equivalent employees, that have been adversely impacted by the COVID-19 Pandemic and the State of Wisconsin “Safer at Home” orders. This program provides rent, mortgage, and utility bill assistance; assistance for additional marketing, advertising, signage, special equipment and supplies; and a 50% match for capital improvement projects such as interior repairs and remodeling, painting, maintenance, and correction of outstanding code violations. Preference will be given to rent,mortgage, and utility payment requests.
The maximum grant to any single business is $10,000. Grant amounts will be determined in the City’s sole discretion based on demonstrated need, purpose, funds availability, and any other factors deemed relevant by the City.
Permissible Grant Uses Are:
- Rent. Grants can be used to pay rent for April, May, and June 2020. Grants will either reimburse businesses for rent already paid, or be paid directly to the landlord.
- Mortgage payments. Grants can be used to make payments on loans that are secured by a mortgage on the business’s premises, for installments due in April, May, and June 2020. Grants will either reimburse businesses for mortgage installments already paid, or be paid directly to the lender.Utility payments. Grants can be used to make utility payments for April, May, and June 2020. Grants will either reimburse businesses for utility payments made, or be paid directly to the utility provider.
- Marketing expenses. Grants can be used to cover expenses for additional marketing required in response to the Safer at Home order, including such things as social media promotions, print advertising,temporary signage, or special equipment or supplies needed to continue business operations during the order. Grants will either reimburse businesses for expenses already paid, or be paid directly to the provider.
- Physical improvements to your business space. Grants may be designated as a 50% match for projects such as interior repair and remodeling, painting, ADA accessibility, and other maintenance projects done while a business is closed due to the Safer at Home order. Project expenses can either be reimbursed after confirmation of payment or paid directly to contractors after confirmation that work is complete. All required permits must be obtained and all work inspected and approved for code compliance before funds are disbursed. If the property has any outstanding code violations, those must be corrected before other work is done. No funds will be disbursed for work begun before a grant award is made. Lien waivers from contractors are required before disbursement.
- Correcting outstanding code violations. Grants may be designated as a 50% match for any expenditures to correct any outstanding code violation orders on your business property while it is closed due to the Safer at Home order. All required permits must be obtained and all work inspected and approved for code compliance before funds are disbursed. No funds will be disbursed for work begun before a grant award is made. Lien waivers from contractors are required before disbursement
Grant Eligibility and Terms
- Business must have been in operation on March 24, 2020 and at least the previous 6 months.
- Business must be physically located in the City of Waukesha. If your business has other locations, grant funds can only be used for business expenses at your Waukesha location.
- Businesses must either be closed as nonessential or had operations severely limited by the State of Wisconsin Safer at Home orders.
- Business must have 20 or fewer full time equivalent employees as of March 24, 2020. A Full Time Equivalent (FTE) is used to convert the hours worked by several part-time employees into the hours worked by full-time employees assuming an 8 hour workday. For example 2 part-time employees working 20 hours per week is the equivalent of one FTE (40 hours).
- Local and regional non-profits located in the City are eligible. National non-profits are not eligible.
- Home-based businesses are only eligible for marketing, advertising, and special equipment grants.
- Property management, real estate rental, and real estate sales businesses are not eligible.
- Mortgage assistance will be pro-rated if the building contains space not used by your business.
- Eligibility does not guarantee that a grant will be made. The City may modify, condition, or deny any request in its sole discretion.
- If you have any questions about eligibility, please feel free to contact Jeff Fortin in the Community Development Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 262-524-3755.
- Applicants must disclose any COVID-19-related assistance received from other programs to offset or forgive rent, mortgage payments, or utility payments. This includes, but is not limited to funds received through the Paycheck Protection Program, Economic Injury Disaster Loans, other governmental assistance programs, or any other private organization grants or programs. Applicants must also disclose any mortgage or rent relief offered by the lender or landlord.
- Applicants are required to submit verification of costs, number of employees, and other information, depending on grant type. This includes but is not limited to mortgage and loan information, tenant leases, invoices, IRS Form 941 for the last quarter of 2019 and the first quarter of 2020, and other documents requested by the City to verify grant requests. Failure to provide requested information, or providing false information, will be grounds for denial of applications.
- For premises improvement and code compliance requests, you will need to provide at least two estimates. Do not start work until you have received notice from the City that your grant was awarded. No grants will be awarded for work completed or begun prior to confirmation of a grant award.
General Terms and Conditions
- Grants must be refunded to the City if the City finds that a grantee intentionally provided false or incomplete information in the application, if grant funds are used for any purposes other than those for which they were given, or if the grantee ceases business during the period for which assistance was given.
- Any entity receiving a check from the City of Waukesha will need to complete a W-9 form. This includes your business and any vendors, contractors, banks, or landlords you are requesting payment to.
- Grantees are responsible for payment of income taxes arising as a result of grants. The City will not withhold taxes from grants.
- The City can reject or refuse any grant application, in its sole discretion.
- The City may require that grant funds be applied to a certain purpose, regardless of the grantee’s preference.
Business interested in applying for a grant must submit a completed application and all supporting materials by Friday, May 15 at 4pm. The City will notify businesses of grant awards by Friday, May 22nd.
Deadline has passed
If you are unable to complete the online application, you may download and e-mail or mail the hard copy application and supporting materials by the deadline. Paper copies and supporting materials may be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to the City of Waukesha Community Development Department, 201 Delafield St., Attn: Waukesha Works Grant, Waukesha, WI 53188.