Permits & Plan Reviews
NOTICE: The City of Waukesha is a delegated municipality (an agent) through the state to grant state approval of plans (if applicable). If you are interested in submitting your plans for state approval to the City, please call Fire Prevention for more information, (262) 524-3648.
- The City of Waukesha Fire Prevention Ordinance prohibits outdoor burning within the City of Waukesha. There are some exceptions for bonfires, recreational fires, and cooking fires. For more information, please read the Fire Prevention Ordinance.
Fire Alarm System Permits
- The City of Waukesha Fire Department has implemented a fire alarm system plan review process to handle all the different types of alarm systems and devices that are available commercially. By reviewing alarm system plans before they are installed, the Fire Department can ensure that the alarm system is adequate for the occupancy that it is protecting and that the system is designed in accordance with various applicable codes and standards.
- Before any fire alarm system can be installed in any building within the City of Waukesha (except for single and double-occupancy residencies), the fire alarm system plans must be conditionally approved by the City of Waukesha Fire Department. After installation, the system must also pass a final inspection by the Fire Department. Complete and submit the Fire Alarm System Plan Review form *
Fire Sprinkler System Permits
- The City of Waukesha Fire Department has a plan review process for all automatic sprinkler systems that are to be installed within the City to ensure they are done in accordance with all applicable codes and standards. Complete and submit the Automatic Sprinkler System Plan Review form *
Fire Suppression System Permits
- The City of Waukesha Fire Department requires that all fire suppression and extinguishing systems receive a full plan review before being installed in any location within the City. These systems include, but are not limited to:
- Carbon Dioxide Systems
- Dry Chemical Systems
- Clean Agent Systems
- Other systems utilized in commercial and industrial occupancies for the purposes of protecting:
- Cooking Appliances
- Telecommunication Systems
- Other things that do not interface well with water
- Complete and submit the Fire Suppression System Plan Review form *
*These forms must be submitted along with the system plans and other required information prior to any system being installed within the City of Waukesha.
- The City of Waukesha Fire Department no longer participates with the State of Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources for review, permitting and inspection of underground and above ground flammable/ combustible liquid tanks within the City.
- The City of Waukesha Fire Department is responsible for any tank closures that occur in the City. Complete and submit the Tank Closure form.